The Rideau Canal is now closed for navigation for 2022 as of October 10th. Locks will not operate outside these dates, but you can still paddle the canal. The exact opening times for locks are available on the official Rideau Canal website; opening hours vary throughout the season.
There’s not a lot of parking near the canal in Merrickville. If you are planning a canoe or kayak trip you might want to park at Clowes or Kilmarnock and paddle in.
- Lock Number(s)/Flights: #21
- Lock Lift metres (feet): 2.6 (8.7)
- Lock Number(s)/Flights: #22
- Lock Lift metres (feet): 3.0 (10.0)
- Lock Number(s)/Flights: #23
- Lock Lift metres (feet): 2.0 (6.2)
- Co-ordinates (Google maps): 44.91700, -75.83525
- Civic Address: 111A Main Street East, Merrickville-Wolford, Ontario
- Lock Station Phone: 613-269-4787
- Portage: Yes, but you’ll probably find it a challenge and you do have to cross a busy road.
- Boat launch: No
- Kayak/Canoe Launch: Yes
- Previous Lock(Distance): Clowes Lock (3.5 km)
- Next Lock (Distance): Kilmarnock Lock -(12.7 km)
- Parking: Yes (free), but this town can get very busy with tourists.
- Camping: Yes ($), if arriving by water and also for cyclists and hikers.
- BBQ/Picnic Tables: Picnic tables, no BBQs
- Washrooms: Yes
- Power Supply: Nothing dedicated but you can charge electronics in the washrooms (not secure)
- Garbage/Recycling: Yes
- Potable (Drinking) Water: Yes, but do check with the lockmaster.
- Public Telephone: Yes, nearby in the town
- Local Supplies: Yes, Merrickville is a busy town with plenty of options.
- Hiking Trails: Yes
- Cell Phone Reception