The Rideau Canal is now closed for navigation for 2022 as of October 10th. Locks will not operate outside these dates, but you can still paddle the canal. The exact opening times for locks are available on the official Rideau Canal website; opening hours vary throughout the season.
Davis lock is a long drive in (about 9km) from Highway 15 (Elgin) along Davis Lock Road. The road is a little narrow and very windy. Take care as there’s a lot of wildlife including deer and wild turkeys. About 3 km before the lock is the James H Fullard Nature Reserve. A short walk of a couple of kilometers but interesting and free.
If you are touring the locks by car or bike and your next destination is Chaffey’s Lock there’s no need to head all the way back to Highway 15 just look out for Cross Road. This cuts through to Chaffeys Lock Rd.
Parking is limited at Davis Lock but fortunately rarely busy. Several places to picnic and watch the boats.
If you plan to camp here there are a couple of level sites near the parking lot with picnic tables and BBQs.
- Lock Number(s)/Flights: #37
- Lock Lift metres (feet): 2.7 (9.0)
- Co-ordinates (Google Maps): 44.578998, -76.319888
- Civic Address: 1822 Davis Lock Road, Rideau Lakes, Ontario
- Lock Station Phone: 613-359-5620
- Portage: Yes,
- Boat launch: No
- Kayak/Canoe Launch: Yes
- Previous Lock(Distance): Chaffey’s Lock
- Next Lock (Distance); Jones Falls
- Parking: Yes (free)
- Camping: Yes ($), if arriving by water and also for cyclists and hikers.
- BBQ/Picnic Tables: Picnic tables & BBQs
- Washrooms: Yes, portable toilets
- Power Supply: No
- Garbage/Recycling: Yes
- Potable (Drinking) Water: Yes, but do check with the lockmaster.
- Public Telephone:
- Local Supplies: No
- Hiking Trails: No
- Cell Phone Reception