The Rideau Canal is now closed for navigation for 2022 as of October 10th. Locks will not operate outside these dates, but you can still paddle the canal. The exact opening times for locks are available on the official Rideau Canal website; opening hours vary throughout the season.
The easiest road access to Chaffey’s lock is off Highway 15, along Chaffeys Lock Road (County Rd 9), about 9 km. You can also access the locks off Highway 10, the Old Perth Road, via Opinicon Road. This is a longer route but a nice drive if you’re not in a rush.
Chaffeys Lock is blessed with a lot of level camping sites along the full length of the lock system. Opinicon Lake end looks to be the quieter option.
- Lock Number(s)/Flights: #37
- Lock Lift metres (feet): 3.3 (10.7)
- Co-ordinates (Google maps): 44.57897, -76.31985
- Civic Address: 1723 Chaffeys Lock Road Rideau Lakes, Ontario
- Lock Station Phone: 613-359-5914
- Portage: Yes, but it does involve crossing generally quiet roads. <250m
- Boat launch: Yes
- Kayak/Canoe Launch: Yes
- Previous Lock(Distance): Newboro Lock
- Next Lock (Distance): Davis Lock
- Parking: Yes (free) but very limited.
- Camping: Yes ($), if arriving by water and also for cyclists and hikers.
- BBQ/Picnic Tables: Picnic tables & BBQs
- Washrooms: Yes
- Power Supply: Nothing dedicated but you can charge electronics in the washrooms (not secure)
- Garbage/Recycling: Yes
- Potable (Drinking) Water: Yes, but do check with the lockmaster.
- Public Telephone: No
- Local Suppliers: Brown’s Marina general store is a short distance from the Davis Lock (Indian Lake) end. Includes LCBO and Beer store but do check the regulations about consuming alcohol on Federal land.
- Hiking Trails: No
- Cell Phone Reception: 3/5 bars Rogers