The collection of picturesque lakes in Esker Lakes Provincial Park, separated by short, fairly level portages and no motorboats, makes the park ideal for canoeing. There are about 15 kilometers of canoe routes and a canoe launching site on Panagapka Lake. There are many different options when paddling these lakes, with plenty of side trips available. Keep an eye out for wildlife, especially near the many wetlands. Canoe rentals are available including paddles and personal floatation devices.
⚠️ Don’t forget to check Esker Lakes park alerts before traveling. Advisories include boil water advisories, fire bans, beach conditions and a whole lot more useful information that might impact your visit.
Facebook and Website Links
Phone: 705-568-7677 (summer)
Address: Highway 672, Kirkland Lake, P2N 3K4
Opening and Closing: May 20, 2022 to September 18, 2022
Esker Lakes Gatehouse: Latitude: 48.281932, Longitude: -79.872539
If you’re looking for information about camping or hiking at this park, we have more information on our partner website – Esker Lake
Canoe & Kayak
The scenic beauty of Esker Lakes Provincial Park is best experienced through canoeing. The 15 kilometers that make up this park’s routes offer an ideal environment for wildlife viewing, with plenty to see near all major wetland systems in the area! There are rental agencies available if you don’t bring your own boat or want something more classic – but be sure not to forget about carrying gear, too; after all, it doesn’t matter how pretty things look when there’s no fish biting on our line..
A few short portages separate each lake from its neighbor
- Plan ahead and check with the park for any specific knowledge you’ll need.
- Be weather aware before and during your adventure, no matter how short.
- Have a plan, and make sure people know where you are going and when you’ll be back.
- Avoid traveling alone, especially if you’re a novice.
- Wear your Personal Flotation Device (PFD), don’t just carry it.
- Attach a good quality whistle to your PFD (no little balls/peas).
- Carry a cell phone or radio (in a waterproof bag that floats).
- Carry safety equipment kit, including buoyant towline, bailer, and waterproof flashlight.
- Recommended are change of clothing/waterproof clothing in a dry sack.
Canoe & Kayak Rental
Rentals are available for personal floatation devices, canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, stand-up paddleboards, trailer storage, and a picnic shelter. The park participates in a Tackleshare program and provides fishing rods and tackle free to visitors.
Where to Launch
A boat launch is located at Panagapka Lake, near the day-use area, as well as a canoe launching area.
We strive to keep the information up to date, but it’s impossible to visit every location regularly. If you find something has changed or you think we’ve missed something important or useful, please Contact Us. We are always happy to include relevant local business information – just a one or two-sentence paragraph and a link to your website, or Facebook page.